San Ysidro's early urban development came from a visionary group of people who came to settle in the valley in 1909 and founded an agricultural utopian colony called "Little Landers." This group of people, in communion with their Mexican neighbors appropriately, christened their community with the name of the patron saint of farmers, ISIDRO, "a virtuous farmer who had fallen asleep and had his fields plowed for him by angels."
Varrio San Ysidro aka “SIDRO” from the community which carries the same name is located in the southern most part of the City of San Diego, adjacent to the international border with Tijuana (Tijuas) Baja Califas.
San Ysidro is a community that is both a small town and bustling city; a gateway between Mexico and Califas. More than a century of settlement and development makes San Ysidro a changing community, yet one which still retains a small neighborhood atmosphere. Many architectural and cultural qualities from different periods of its evolving history have been retained and are captured in this neighborhood. San Ysidro began as an agricultural experiment to preserve a rural agricultural/farm lifestyle, but now has emerged as a multicultural area attempting to maintain its sense of community. Some areas of the Barrio are characterized by a lot of empty lots and real viejo homes with well-tended gardens where las familias know their vecinos, while newer urban tracts of homes and ever increasing apartment complexes continue to add into the mix of residents.
El barrio de San Ysidro is bounded in the east by the hills and canyons below Otay Mesa. To the west is the Tijuana River Valley, a vast wetlands area that reaches as far west to the Pacific Ocean. To the south is the International border; Tijuana on the other side of La Linea (The Fence). Bordering on the north side is the 905 Freeway which separates Sidro from the communities of Palm City and Del Sol (Otay-Mesa West). These natural and man-made boundaries have served the Barrio well over time in helping it to keep its unique identity; however the cohesion of this community over the decades, has been fragmented by the construction of Interstates (5), (805), (905) and the San Diego Trolley.
San Ysidro’s Mexican roots and ties with Tijuana have from the onset been real strong. There can never be any question about the ties-that-bond both sides of the border in this here town. From its early history of ranchos and farms, to the turn of the century Little Landers Colony experiment; continuing thru the 1920’s and onto the 1930’s when Mexicans began to increase dramatically in numbers and into the 1940s when Sidro became the gateway to the bustling party town of Tijuas. Tijuana with its nightlife, its gambling, its racetrack and oceanfront beaches, attracted more than a just few people from American & Californian society. Among the throngs of people coming down to party-hardy, so too entered the Pachucos and they introduced their Gangster stilo. These Chucos --Tarzanes as they were called down on the Mexican Side, so much influenced the young jente in Tijuas, that their style survived even up to the late 60s/early 70s. In San Ysidro -which back then was almost like an extension of Tijuana's Colonia Libertad- the pachucos left their impact as well, and the Young Raza from Sidro being no different than everyone else in the barrios of Califas, they cliqued up under the pachuco style and created their own Pachuco Club.
The “COACHMEN” the first clika from SIDRO.
The Coachmen began their life as an un-official car-club in the very early 1950s. The Barrio in those days was very much all-along San Ysidro Blvd. in particular, further to the west side --west of today’s 805 freeway-- stretching all the way to Dairy Mart Road. The COACHMEN cruised with their coches (ranflas) all up and down LA VILLA as the strip was called in-between Via de San Ysidro and Dairy Mart Road. Most of the neighborhood Vatos (some 50 in those days) worked and kicked it at the empacadoras (the packing plants) also on the strip, over by where SY Blvd and Dairy Mart Road meet. By the late 50s, these Vatos had become straight-up a “VARRIO” in all sense of the meaning, and at the start of the 60s, their second generation “Los ENANOS” took their place.
This History of VARRIO SAN YSIDRO is one pieced together here and there, therefore if I’m off on some or anyone can share better info, by all means